Kennedy's New Chapter


Today was an emotional roller coaster....
For over a month Kennedy has been excessively thirsty...which has lead to her frequent need to use the bathroom. She even drank so much water that a couple of weeks ago she wet the bed...twice...in a week. What?!? She has NEVER wet the bed, even when she was potty training. Her obsessive thirst kept getting worse and worse. At first it was funny, then annoying, and finally this week it became so frequent, it became worrisome. On top of being thirsty over the course of the last week she has become fatigued, irritable, she has been losing weight, and she started complaining of headaches.

In my heart, I knew something was not right. So I did the first thing I always do when I want to find something out. I searched the internet. I looked up frequent urination. The first thing that popped up was urinary tract infection. However, when I looked up the other symptoms of UTI, I knew this was not a possiblity because Kennedy never complained of pain when going to the bathroom.
The next possibility on the list was.....diabetes. WHAT? No way could this be what was going on with KK. However as I read the other symptoms of Type 1 Diabetes my heart began to sink....
frequent urination
excessive thirst
weight loss
fatigue
irritability

My head was spinning. I told my self to calm down, take a deep breath, and realize there is no way you can diagnose diabetes by yourself on the internet. So I called our pediatrician and imediately scheduled an appointment to get her checked out. Then I sat and waited for the appointment - mind spinning. I prayed, "Heavenly Father please help me accept whatever may come. Please help me be strong for KK. Please help me know what to say and do and how to react to this." I sat thinking of what a diabetes diagnosis would mean for Kennedy, shots, insulin, diet monitoring, doctor visits, a lifetime sentence. Tears welled up in my eyes and I sat alone at our kitchen table sobbing, waiting, worrying.

I called Tobey and told him what I had found on the internet and my feelings. He told me that the other night the impression had come to him that she may have diabetes. The moment he told me this, I felt a strange sense of peace wash over me. The Spirit helped me realize that this was what was going to happen and that everything was going to be okay. And although I was still crying and saddened by what was happening, I was at peace. I felt my Heavenly Father's love for me and my family. I knew He was with us, especially with Kennedy, and everything was going to be alright.

I dried my eyes, packed the girls up in the van, and headed to the doctor's office. I told my suspicions to the doctor and he immediately gave KK a urine test. While we were waiting for the results the doctor spoke with us, reassuring us the most of the time it was nothing serious and not to be alarmed. Minutes later he walked grave faced back into the room to tell us what we already knew....her gluclose levels were excessively high...he was referring us to an endocrinologist in Idaho Falls...we need to get over there as soon as we can...it may be diabetes.
At this point I lost it and began crying hysterically in the little exam room. My sadness for what Kennedy was going to have to face overwhelmed me. She is only five...she is terrified of shots...will she ever be able to enjoy little things in life like popcicles...I wish it were me instead of her. Meanwhile Kennedy is only worried that she will have to get a shot like the last time we went to the doctors and she keeps asking me why I am crying so much. I don't know what to tell her...so I just say, "Mommies worry about their kids so much sometimes they just have to cry." I look over at Tobey who is fighting to keep back his emotions. Is this really happening?

We go home and eat lunch. Tobey is crying, I am crying, the kids are wondering what on earth happened to their parents. We pack up the kids, arrange for Paige to go to a friend's house after school while we are in Idaho Falls, ask my sister and my mom (who is in town because Michelle is having her baby this week) to watch Avery and Hadley while we are at this appointment. Meanwhile Kennedy is still wondering if she has to get a shot at this doctor. We try to explain to her that we are not sure what they are going to do, but we know she is sick and they are going to test her to find out what is wrong. Then we drive, silently, to the appointment wishing we knew what to say, but knowing that if we start to talk we are likely to start sobbing again.

We arrived at the Rocky Mountain Diabetes and Osteoporosis Center and I keep staring at the sign...diabetes...diabetes...it seems so surreal. Just yesterday I was laughing because Kennedy had to go to the bathroom FIVE times while we were shopping, now I realize just how serious it all is. Kennedy is immediately taken back where she is weighed, measured, her blood pressure is taken, and then her blood sugar level is tested by a finger prick. The nurse's eyes get huge and she says, "It's reading high. That is not good." What does that mean? I am too afraid to ask so I sit silently, scared, sad, anxious until the doctor comes in and starts to talk to us. Her blood levels are over 500. Normal levels are between 80-140. Our lives are going to change.

Kennedy is diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes. This news is not really a shock to us since we had been impressed earlier that day that this was going to be the outcome.
I keep looking at Kennedy. She seems so small, so fragile, and scared. I keep telling her that this is good news. We know what has been making her feel yucky, now we are going to fix it. She looks like she wants to believe me, but she is still afraid she is going to get anther shot. If only she knew just how many shots she was going to get.

The doctor, Dr. Vance, assures us that Kennedy will be able to live a long, healthy life. We just have to understand the process of diabetes and keep her insulin levels in check. He assures us that unlike Type 2 Diabetes, which is brought on by unhealthy eating, excessive weight, and lifestyle, Type 1 diabetes an autoimmune disease. Her pancreas is being attacked by her immune system and is unable to send out insulin. It is not reversible. She will have it her entire life. He names famous sports stars and musicians who have diabetes. I think he was trying to make us feel better. I am not sure it worked.

After speaking with the doctor we were sent to speak with a diabetes educator, Jean. She immediately jumped in and started educating us. We had no idea where to even start. She explained to us the two different types of insulin Kennedy would have to inject each day, when to inject them, how much to inject. She told us about blood glucose monitoring and how to do it. She helped us understand low blood sugar levels and how to bring them back up. She helped me inject Kennedy with her first dose of insulin.

Kennedy was brave. She was scared for the injections and cried as we placed the insulin pen on her leg. She did not know what to expect. My hand was shaking. I did not want to hurt her. She and I both took a deep breath and I injected the tiny needle into her leg, counted to five so the insulin could seep into her body, and then pulled the pen back. She looked at me, her eyes wide. She had not felt the injection. Okay, we can do this. This is doable.

After speaking with Jean and ordering all of Kennedy's needed insulin, needles, blood test strips, and lancets we set up another appointment for Friday and headed for home, our heads spinning with all the information we had just received. Again, I was filled with an immense sense of peace and hope. I do not know why KK has this disease, but I know that we are going to learn from it, we are going to adjust, we are going to grow and become stronger because of it.

Tonight at bedtime I climbed into bed with Kennedy and talked with her about how brave she was. I told her how much I love her and how special she is. I let her know that Heavenly Father loves her and will help her become stronger as she lives with this disease. She asked me if she will get to stop having shots when she gets better. My heart broke for her as I explained to her that even when she starts feeling better, her body will always need the insulin to help her food become energy for her body. She nodded solemnly, bravely and then she broke into a huge smile and said, "Okay." She was so accepting of her circumstances. At that moment she was my hero, my teacher. Oh how I love this amazing little girl.

As much as I wish I could take this sickness from her, I know that everything happens for a reason. I know that God does not give us anything in this life we cannot handle. And because of this, I am at peace. It will be an adjustment. Every time I have to place those needles in KK's body, my heart is going to break for her. Every time she has to pass by the cupcakes, or popsicles it is going to hurt. I only hope that I can be as strong as she is.

As I put my children to bed tonight I was struck by how grateful I am to be their mother and impressed once again just how precious each moment with them is. There is no time to be lax in our relationships with our family. We need to make each moment count and soak in every second with our loved ones, loving them and cherishing them. They are truly our greatest gifts.


Comments

AZ-Ormes said…
Wow, wow and wow. The first wow is because of the news, the second wow is for how lucky she is to have all of you, and the third wow is because I have a new hero too!
Rob
Misty said…
You are such a wonderful mother. And what an awesome, sweet, and inspiring little girl you have. She is beautiful. We will keep her (and you) in our prayers.
Katie The Lady said…
What a terrifying ordeal! I love/hate the internet when I'm trying to search out medical answers- it tells you everything you need to know about what your looking for, but at the same time, it tells you everything, good or bad, so I end up freaking out more-hahaha.

I'm glad you guys were able to know/feel what it was before the doctor told you. I'm sure if she just went in for a routine check up and found out that she had diabetes, it would have been so much worse.

What a brave girl! I bet she won't be afraid of needles for long. Hopefully she continues to sit threw all the shots daily without fighting you. Your family is in my prayers. I'm sure it will all fall into place and become second nature soon.
Katie The Lady said…
(through) not threw
lrix said…
I totally cried while reading this. You are such good parents and your perspective on this is inspiring. Stay strong. Thank you for always being such a great example posting things to help us remember what is truly important in life!
Kathi said…
Tobey & Melyssa,
I know yesterday was an emotional day but both your faith and prayers (along with everyone else who were immediately contacted & prayed) have been answered with that sweet calm feeling of knowing Heavenly Father wouldn't give anyone something they couldn't handle. You're right Melyssa, sweet Kennedy is on the road to recovery now (feeling better) even though that road will be rough at times she WILL be stronger for it (you all will).
Thank you for your testimony on not being "lax in our relationships with our families. Make each moment count & soak in every second with our loved ones, loving them and cherishing them. They are truly our greatest gifts"

love you all so much!!!!
mom

p.s. there is a wonderful world of sugar free foods out there - thank goodness even though us diabetes can steal a "real" sugar treat too. :)
Erin L said…
I have a good friend whose son as Type 1 diabetes. He is about Kennedy's age. She says you just get used to it, and they do too. You are such an amazing mother! I really admire you and your family.
SANFORD said…
Thank you for sharing this with me, I will let my wife know and we will keep you in our prayers. We understand how much work it takes to watch a child's diet. Our son is allergic to dairy, wheat, eggs, nuts, among other things and we are saddened when we can eat certain things and he is not able to. My wife continually struggles with this and thinks it is not fair. I had the opportunity to give a lesson for elders quorum this past sunday and it was on patience. A comforting scripture I found was 1 Peter 2:20-21. Even when we live our lives according to Heavenly Father's plan, we still have to be patient, it is something we will continually learn throughout our lives. Our true model for patience is our Savior, feeling the love He has for each one of us as He suffered and even while on the cross asking "Father forgive them for they know not what they do."
Christina White said…
Oh Melyssa, I am crying right now for all of you. Kennedy is so brave and sweet. If there is anyone that can handle helping her through this, it is you! I know you will be blessed and strengthened. I am so sorry. Right before I read your post I had been reading an article on diabetes, and as soon as I read her symptoms--I thought, oh my gosh, she can't have diabetes? can she?--- I feel for all of you, this will change a few things in your lives. Hopefully, it will bring you closer as you work together to help Kennedy! I will keep you in my prayers.

Much Love, Chris
Granna said…
I'm crying too, reading this, but they are tears of gratitude for your faithfulness and example. We all are praying for your family as you tackle this challenge. EGBOK!!!
The trials of life! Needles are NOT fun! Like the doctor said people with diabetes can live a normal healthy active life. ‘IF’ a diabetic maintains a proper diet. I have watched over the year’s people who have paid strict attention to diets and exercise and they do live typical healthy active lives. I don't know about people with type 2 diabetes, but people who have type 1 diabetes that do fudge on the diet taking extra insulin to counter the extra sugar, and say they can’t exercise, live poorly. Or say things like if I/we eat only 7 M&M it’s okay. I actually heard a man with diabetes giving his little girl with diabetes 7 M&M say this, WHAT!? I have been told by some that sugar to a diabetic is like drugs to an addict, or alcohol to an alcoholic. NOT easy! So it is best to stay away from sugar period. I have a friend whose husband is a diabetic. They eat only what he is allowed. No sugar in the house at all. She will get a sweet treat when she is out and about, but to make life easier for her husband they just don’t have sweets / starch / refined foods in the house. They do use steivia. They also have learned how to eat out and stay on this strict diet. As you may have discovered when you visited here there are no health conscious restaurants around here, but they make it work. When she talks about the foods they eat I get hungry listening to her. one is she grates coco samoa over fruit. Coco samoa is pure coco bean mashed up and dried, nothing added, maybe a bit of water I am not sure, but nothing else. It might be a bit to mature of a flavor for a five year old. Marissa’s little Tavita likes it, Brayden not so much. My point is there are things out there to eat that are a treat without using sugar and fats. By the way Mr. Rudd, my friend’s husband, is active, healthy, and they travel a lot.
Kennedy is a lucky girl to have parents as loving and supportive, who rely on the Lord, as you two.
She and you all are in our prayers
Aunt Carol
Tobus said…
Thank you all for your love and support! It is strongly felt and much appreciated. Thank you.
Kristy said…
Hi--total stranger here. I was directed to your blog by Lauren Heal. My 2-year old son was diagnosed with Type 1 a month ago. So I totally understand everything you've said and everything that you're feeling. They CAN have a normal life, and that's the goal. You guys are going to do great--I can tell that you have a strong family and a strong faith. The Lord gives us the challenges that we need, and I think your daughter is lucky to have such loving parents. If you ever need someone to talk to--and even though talking to a stranger is weird--I'd love to chat with you. I'm a month into it, and while at first it was overwhelming, it got easier, and then it got tough again. I think that's probably how it's going to be! Listen to your doctors--they know more than someone off the street about managing diabetes in a small child! I was reading the comment above about sugar, and that's just not true for Type 1 diabetics--they CAN have sugar. They can pretty much eat anything they want, they just have to have insulin afterwards. What a relief that is--not having to worry about a special diet. Your little girl is going to do great! Hang in there!

Kristy www.toddandkristy.blogspot.com
kritty518 at yahoo dot com
GinaBeana said…
Soooo...you don't know me! *LOL* I am Tim Williams' wife, Gina. we follow your blog, even though you might not know it! :O) Anyway, I read this post (while crying and hugging my babies just a little tighter) and wanted you to know that we are praying for you, your hubby, and little Kennedy. What a scary and trying time for your family...and what a strong mommy you are! Anyway, I know this might seem odd getting a message from me when you don't know me, so feel free to shoot Tim a FB message if you'd like to! *LOL* But, just know we are praying!

Popular Posts