A Tale of Two Kitties
It was the best of days, it was the worst of days.......
On Thursday morning our family awoke to the sound of mewing on our front porch. Paige opened the door and to our surprise we found two kittens sitting there, shivering and afraid. The girls immediately ran out and grabbed the poor cats while Tobey and I got them some milk to drink. Which turned out to be a very bad idea in hindsight. : ) We let the girls play with the cats for about 20 minutes then told them to say goodbye because the kittens would probably go back to their home. (ha,ha,ha)
We continued on with our day and a couple hours later I heard Scout whimpering in the back yard. I opened the back door and saw Scout trying to approach two very mad, hissing kittens. They were scratching and pawing at her. Scout is very friendly and I am sure she was just trying to smell them and see what they were. However, they were not happy to see a huge chocolate lab coming at them. I quickly scooped them up and tried to carry them through our house out the front door. Another bad idea in hindsight. They were so scared, they grabbed onto me for dear life with their claws. So here I am running through my house screaming in pain with one kitten’s claws embedded in my neck and the other kitten’s claws in my bicep! Ouch!!!! I finally got them back in the front of the house and onto our front porch, but I could not get them unattached from my body - those tiny little claws went deep!!!! After what seemed like an eternity, they finally relinquished their hold on my skin and ventured onto the porch.
After the food, rescue, and undivided attention those little kittens decided that our house was a pretty nice place to be. The rest of the afternoon our girls played with the kittens. We determined there was a male and female which were promptly named Oreo & Gertie. The girls then decided they were now a part of our family. Most of you know I am not a fan of cats, kittens I can tolerate, but the last thing I need are two adult cats prowling around our house full time. So I gently explained to the girls that we were going to take the two kittens to the animal shelter so they could find homes where they would be able to live inside the house. The girls know I am allergic to cats, so they did not protest too much. They carefully packed the kittens in our our blanket lined laundry basket, lifted it into the van, and protected the kitties all the way to the shelter where we said our sad goodbyes to our pets for the day. The girls handled it well, simply stating, “Well, maybe when Scout dies we can get some cats!” We came out of the experience with no tears, a few puncture marks and scratches, and some good memories. We wish you all the best Gertie & Oreo. :)
On Thursday morning our family awoke to the sound of mewing on our front porch. Paige opened the door and to our surprise we found two kittens sitting there, shivering and afraid. The girls immediately ran out and grabbed the poor cats while Tobey and I got them some milk to drink. Which turned out to be a very bad idea in hindsight. : ) We let the girls play with the cats for about 20 minutes then told them to say goodbye because the kittens would probably go back to their home. (ha,ha,ha)
We continued on with our day and a couple hours later I heard Scout whimpering in the back yard. I opened the back door and saw Scout trying to approach two very mad, hissing kittens. They were scratching and pawing at her. Scout is very friendly and I am sure she was just trying to smell them and see what they were. However, they were not happy to see a huge chocolate lab coming at them. I quickly scooped them up and tried to carry them through our house out the front door. Another bad idea in hindsight. They were so scared, they grabbed onto me for dear life with their claws. So here I am running through my house screaming in pain with one kitten’s claws embedded in my neck and the other kitten’s claws in my bicep! Ouch!!!! I finally got them back in the front of the house and onto our front porch, but I could not get them unattached from my body - those tiny little claws went deep!!!! After what seemed like an eternity, they finally relinquished their hold on my skin and ventured onto the porch.
After the food, rescue, and undivided attention those little kittens decided that our house was a pretty nice place to be. The rest of the afternoon our girls played with the kittens. We determined there was a male and female which were promptly named Oreo & Gertie. The girls then decided they were now a part of our family. Most of you know I am not a fan of cats, kittens I can tolerate, but the last thing I need are two adult cats prowling around our house full time. So I gently explained to the girls that we were going to take the two kittens to the animal shelter so they could find homes where they would be able to live inside the house. The girls know I am allergic to cats, so they did not protest too much. They carefully packed the kittens in our our blanket lined laundry basket, lifted it into the van, and protected the kitties all the way to the shelter where we said our sad goodbyes to our pets for the day. The girls handled it well, simply stating, “Well, maybe when Scout dies we can get some cats!” We came out of the experience with no tears, a few puncture marks and scratches, and some good memories. We wish you all the best Gertie & Oreo. :)

Comments
~Thresa