"Give me strength to be my best today – Help me become who you want me to be.”


There are times when God just knows what you need to hear. And tonight was one of those times. This week has been a trying one for me. I have been struggling with my health, with unanswered questions concerning my disease, with wondering if I will ever feel “normal” or “myself” again. There are days I just sit and cry as I watch my hair falling out and the scale moving upwards, days when I think about Kennedy and how she will never be able to just go out to recess like all the other kids at school without having to stop by the office and get her blood sugar checked. Days when I wonder if there was something I could have done, could have changed about what we are eating and our lifestyles that could have prevented KK and myself from coming down with these diseases. I worry about the health of our other children. Every stomach ache, case of heartburn, or other sickness that occurs in my family seems to bring on a panic attack inside me and makes me wonder who else might become seriously ill. And there were days where I just choose to feel sorry for myself. Sometimes I feel like there is such a heavy weight on my shoulders and I do not know what to do. And although I know that there are other people out there going through trials, there are times when I feel utterly and completely alone.

With that being said, I have made it an unshakable priority to read my scriptures and pray every morning so I have the strength to make it through the days when I have no energy or I am discouraged. And while the scriptures have comforted me and I have been taught things by the Spirit, I still felt like something was lacking. And today I realized part of the reason I have been having such a hard time. I have not been turning my burdens over to God. I have been trying to muscle through them on my own. And that has not been working so well. I have been trying so hard to be faithful, to be optimistic, to be strong, and I have been failing because I am missing the most crucial component and that is giving my faith, my trust, and my trials to God, knowing He will lift me up.

After an especially emotionally trying day yesterday today I decided to pray each and every time a discouraging thought came into my mind. I stopped, I said a prayer of gratitude, then I asked for God’s strength and love in my life. And although my day was by no means perfect, I have never felt so much peace. I know God heard and answered my prayers. By praying to Him each time I was discouraged, I was able to see the beauty in my life. I was able to look past the hardships and see the blessings, which are all around if you can open your eyes enough to see them.

I know God has a plan for me and my family. And although I do not understand why we are called upon to go through what we have to go through sometimes, I know there is a reason. We do not suffer in vain. It is so easy to let discouragement take over and sweep us away if we are not constantly grounding ourselves by clinging to our faith. And I am so grateful for that reminder this week. Even if it did take a round of trials to bring me back to the real mission of this life.
Tonight while I was reading blogs, I came across a story about a family whose five year old daughter died of a brain tumor and I was touched by the mother’s words of faith. The resolve this mother had resonated with me and my experience today. They strengthened me and uplifted me and gave me more resolve to cling to my faith.

The link for the entire story is here. http://hilaryweeks.com/blog/?p=424

Here are the words that inspired me:

“There is much I have learned from Sadie and our experience. I have learned that no one is immune from trials. But it is how we choose to react to them that will shape our lives in the future. There was the moment after she was diagnosed where I had to ask myself if I believed what I said I did. It is easy to coast through the gospel and what it teaches until something gives you that gut check. We could be bitter or hold to our faith with our all. And that is what we strived to do.

“And I learned about God’s will. It took me a long time into Sadie’s battle to pray that His will is what I trusted or for His will to be done. I didn’t want to agree if His will was that she end up passing away. Speaking those words in a prayer was so hard. But I had to turn it over to Him. Though the hardships remained, a load was lifted off my shoulders and a peace came. And my love for the Savior grew. We have a plaque in our home that reads, “Sometimes God calms the storm. Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child”. I think that applied to Sadie and to us as her family.

"And as one of my all time favorite Hilary Weeks lines states, “… And give me strength to be my best today – help me become who you want me to be.”

I am grateful for this life. As frustrating, messy, and painful as it can be at times, there is always beauty, love, and peace that can be found if we are focusing on eternity. Eternity is the only reality. I need to remember that.

Comments

Meggan Hayes said…
Thank You for posting this. I needed it.
Jen said…
thank you for sharing. so moved by everything you said. we love you guys so much and are always praying for you guys. you are stronger than you give yourself credit for...such a great example to me! <3
Anonymous said…
You are so wise! Heavenly Father will take care of your family. I'm so sorry to hear about your health issues. You are such an example to me and I miss your friendship!
Katie Fish said…
Thank you for this. It was so beautifully written and exactly what I needed to hear. Love you!!
The A Team Mom said…
I have been thinking of you and your family. I wish I was closer and I could stop to give you a hug. I think the world of you!! You are a wonderful mother! and a fun friend! Thanks for your testimony and faith and I will pray for angels to help you!!
Granna said…
Thank you for honestly sharing your thoughts; it blesses a lot of people who feel just the way you do in their own trials.
Misty said…
Oh Melyssa. I just read this. You are incredible. You do have so very much on your shoulders (far more than I even know or could imagine, I'm sure). I do not know you as well as I wish to, but I am certain that your strength (even when you don't feel strong) is blessing the lives of many you don't even know. It has blessed me. It will bless not only your children, but your posterity. The small and simple things that you continue making and effort to do (like praying for each discouraging thought) are incredibly inspiring and motivating to me. Thank you.
Dacia said…
I came across you blog from Emilee Parks FB post & I have to say that it's just what I needed for today. Thanks for sharing your struggles and helping me to realize I can make it through my own. What an example of strength you are!
Unknown said…
I love u lady. I sent my mum over to read ur blog. It is inspiring and I want the whole world to grow from it. Keep on keepin on. I miss ya. Love Emily

Popular Posts