Our Week: January 14th-20th
This week was a pretty low key week for our family. We had some outdoor art projects. Avery and Hadley are little artists at heart. They LOVE to draw, paint, color, and especially cut paper up into tiny little pieces and leave them scattered around the house (my personal favorite). You can't tell from this picture but it was a pretty cold day here (50 degrees) but that did not stop Hadley from dressing like a ballerina. I even brought out a sweatshirt and put in on her, which she quickly discarded and stood there shivering and painting. Oh, the things they do to look beautiful! :)
I forgot to mention this last week, but Hadley is FINALLY a Sunbeam. Because of her winter birthday she was able to stay in nursery a lot longer than any of the other girls have. (I actually think this works out better). She was SO excited to finally be in Primary with her sisters because she is a "big girl now!" Look at that sweet little face.
Paige has been teaching herself to use the hair straightener. She has been doing her own hair every morning and on Sunday she offered to do Kennedy's hair. It was sweet watching her help Kennedy become beautified! It reminded me of when I used to help my sisters do their hair. Although, luckily for Kennedy, Paige seems to be better at it than I was. I burned my sisters a lot with the curling iron when I was learning. Oops! :)
This week we decided to try some new "healthy" no bake cookie recipes. Paige and I made two different versions and then had everyone vote on which one they liked best. We want to start making cookies every Sunday, but we don't want a lot of unhealthy sugars. So we are trying out some new recipes made with a little bit of honey, or stevia, or that are sweetened by fruits, etc. As you can see from the pictures version two won by a landslide. The recipe is below. (Tobey and Kennedy were putting up one and a half fingers because they liked the texture of cookie one better and the taste of cookie two better).
Healthy No Bake Cookies
6 Tbs Almond Milk
1/3 cup Honey
Stevia to taste
2 T cocoa powder
3 tsp. vanilla
2/3 cup natural crunchy peanut (or other nut) butter
3 T ground flax seeds (optional)
2 1/4 cups quick oatmeal (we used gluten free)
-Heat milk, sugar, and cocoa powder over high heat until boiling, stirring constantly. Take off heat and stir in vanilla and peanut butter; stir until peanut butter has melted completely. Stir in oatmeal and flax seeds. Drop by spoonfuls onto wax paper and let set.
A few other events of this week:
*Kennedy forgot her lunch in the car TWO DAYS IN A ROW - Since we can't use the real life lesson I usually use (they go without a lunch for the day and are so hungry they don't forget again the next time) - because of her diabetes, we decided she can no longer use her Justin Bieber bag (which her lunchbox does not fit in). Hopefully this will help her become more responsible. It is not fun for me to make the 20 minute drive back to school because she was forgetful. Urgh!
*Tobey started a "cleanse" to get his body ready for his new workout routine. He had only green smoothies for two days and is continuing for a week as a gluten free vegan. It has been hard for him, but I am SO proud that he is sticking with it. I have never seen him eat so many vegetables! Woo Hoo! :)
*We've been working with the girls on having them not talk back. We asked them to simply reply with "Okay mom" or "Okay dad" when they are asked to do something they may not like to do. (We have a LONG way to go on this one). My favorite is how Hadley quickly says, "Yes Mudder" to me when I ask her to do something. It is so HARD to keep a straight face. Hee Hee! :)
*Paige and her friend Megan signed up to be in the school talent show. They made up a dance to "Call Me Maybe" and are working hard to be ready. Stay tuned for videos after the show. It's the second week of February.
Aside from that we had a BIG event this week. We went to Disneyland for the final time since our annual passes expire in January. I will post that as a separate post because there are TONS of pictures. We had a great week!
I forgot to mention this last week, but Hadley is FINALLY a Sunbeam. Because of her winter birthday she was able to stay in nursery a lot longer than any of the other girls have. (I actually think this works out better). She was SO excited to finally be in Primary with her sisters because she is a "big girl now!" Look at that sweet little face.
Paige has been teaching herself to use the hair straightener. She has been doing her own hair every morning and on Sunday she offered to do Kennedy's hair. It was sweet watching her help Kennedy become beautified! It reminded me of when I used to help my sisters do their hair. Although, luckily for Kennedy, Paige seems to be better at it than I was. I burned my sisters a lot with the curling iron when I was learning. Oops! :)
This week we decided to try some new "healthy" no bake cookie recipes. Paige and I made two different versions and then had everyone vote on which one they liked best. We want to start making cookies every Sunday, but we don't want a lot of unhealthy sugars. So we are trying out some new recipes made with a little bit of honey, or stevia, or that are sweetened by fruits, etc. As you can see from the pictures version two won by a landslide. The recipe is below. (Tobey and Kennedy were putting up one and a half fingers because they liked the texture of cookie one better and the taste of cookie two better).
6 Tbs Almond Milk
1/3 cup Honey
Stevia to taste
2 T cocoa powder
3 tsp. vanilla
2/3 cup natural crunchy peanut (or other nut) butter
3 T ground flax seeds (optional)
2 1/4 cups quick oatmeal (we used gluten free)
-Heat milk, sugar, and cocoa powder over high heat until boiling, stirring constantly. Take off heat and stir in vanilla and peanut butter; stir until peanut butter has melted completely. Stir in oatmeal and flax seeds. Drop by spoonfuls onto wax paper and let set.
A few other events of this week:
*Kennedy forgot her lunch in the car TWO DAYS IN A ROW - Since we can't use the real life lesson I usually use (they go without a lunch for the day and are so hungry they don't forget again the next time) - because of her diabetes, we decided she can no longer use her Justin Bieber bag (which her lunchbox does not fit in). Hopefully this will help her become more responsible. It is not fun for me to make the 20 minute drive back to school because she was forgetful. Urgh!
*Tobey started a "cleanse" to get his body ready for his new workout routine. He had only green smoothies for two days and is continuing for a week as a gluten free vegan. It has been hard for him, but I am SO proud that he is sticking with it. I have never seen him eat so many vegetables! Woo Hoo! :)
*We've been working with the girls on having them not talk back. We asked them to simply reply with "Okay mom" or "Okay dad" when they are asked to do something they may not like to do. (We have a LONG way to go on this one). My favorite is how Hadley quickly says, "Yes Mudder" to me when I ask her to do something. It is so HARD to keep a straight face. Hee Hee! :)
*Paige and her friend Megan signed up to be in the school talent show. They made up a dance to "Call Me Maybe" and are working hard to be ready. Stay tuned for videos after the show. It's the second week of February.
Aside from that we had a BIG event this week. We went to Disneyland for the final time since our annual passes expire in January. I will post that as a separate post because there are TONS of pictures. We had a great week!













Comments