Here I Sit...

Today I am having a hard time motivating myself to do the ZILLIONS of things that need to be done around my house. It seems like every chore is halfway finished. My sink and toilet are scrubbed, yet the tub and floor are still dirty. The dishes are in the dishwasher but there are still crumbs scattered around every visible surface in my kitchen. Some the laundry is washed but there are random piles and baskets of clean clothes everywhere I am not motivated enough to finish folding and putting away. I have read to my kids, played with them, helped them get dressed, fed them, and even gone on a walk, but now I have them sitting in front of the t.v. watching a show so I can have a few minutes peace (will I ever be able to do that without feeling endless guilt? I don't know) I am feeling the pressure of not making ends meet housework wise. There are days when I throw my hands up in frustration because I can't seem to keep up with ANYTHING. I feel like if I truly keep my house tidy, my kids suffer from lack of attention. Or, if I pay tons of attention to my kids, everything else falls behind and makes me cranky. I have tried making a housework schedule, but that only seems to add stress on days when I don't get to my assigned chores. For those of you busy mothers out there do you have any suggestions? I can't seem to keep it together lately.

Comments

Erin L said…
i don't have any advice, but you are not alone. (and I'm really glad i'm not either.)
Katie Fish said…
Oh my gosh...I have been feeling exactly like this the past few days too. Like bad...in fact, I was going to get on and blog about it too. haha. But I don't have time. :) I can't keep up with house work, work work, family time, couple time, and me time. I don't know how people do it. (and I only have one kid and a small apartment) I have a housework schedule like you talked about, and it's helping me keep up better. I made sure to not put too much on each day, just a little each day. That way I don't feel too overwhelmed. I have enough to definitely keep me busy on top of work and spending quality time with my family, but not so much that I don't feel like I can't get it all done. Things still don't always get done, but I try to remind myself that it's OK. And it is...as much as we don't feel like it is. I definitely feel quality time with your family is most important and just do what you can after that. It's hard. Ugh.
Katie The Lady said…
YIKES! I have days like that all the time lately! I'm not sure when it hit, but sometime during the summer my home became messy, and I have yet to find time to keep it clean like I have in the past! I just cannot keep up with things, and I only live in a tiny apartment with 2 kids, so I can't give any advice. All I can say is- that is why my kids go to bed at 7:00, so early. I get a lot of stuff done after they are in bed, when Michael is at work. But that probably won't work for you-hahaha!

Have a better day tomorrow! And soon enough, you'll be enjoying yourself at an awesome girl's night!!!
Heidi Mae said…
That's what kids are for! Fortunately my boys still love to help out, so even though it takes me longer to do somethings with them, I figure they're learning how to clean (which will help me out even more later), I'm spends time with them (not the funniest, but we're talking about things and laughing), and the boys love the satisfaction of seeing something they did. I got an old wood curtain rod and hung it with rope from the boys closet rod, so it's now low enough for them to get to they're own clothes. I clean and fold their clothes, they get to put them all away. It's not perfect, and I go in after the fact and fix anything that needs help, but it's better than putting away all their clothes myself. (ps that's my least favorite thing about laundry. the putting away) I buy the swiffer dry clothes and have the boys use them for dusting. It's not the best thing for dusting, but atleast it captures the dust and makes things look nicer. The boys do all their toy clean up or I get out a bag and take the toys that are left out away for awhile. They usually clean up pretty quickly when the bag comes out. :)
And who says the bathrm has to be cleaned all at once. I hate cleaning the bathrm even more than I dislike putting away laundry. I can only do one thing a day or it never gets done. That way the bathrm looks reasonable (most of the time). And I don't get overwhelmed by it.
All in all though, the fact of the matter is that we'll never be perfect at keeping the house done. We have kids, and if we were, then I'd think we were doing something wrong. It's all about priorities. You chose the one or two things that you have to get done and spend the rest of the time growing and nurturing those other important things. Good luck! I know we all struggle with this same problem as mothers. We're our own worst enemy.
Melissa said…
Okay, it's like you are reading my mind. I feel the same way Melyssa. I feel like I do work everyday and at the end of the day it doesn't look like I have done anything at all. It is hard to find that balance. I think it is just coming to the realization that we can't do it all and get everything done we want to get done. I think it is figuring out how to let some things go. As long as the kids are being taken care of and you have some me time occasionally, we are doing our job.
You are such a good Mom and you always seem so on top of things. It seems like I look at everyone else and they make it look so easy.
Christina White said…
And here I sit hiding from a mountain of dishes . . . I cleaned the house all morning yesterday--while I was watching kids for my friend . . . I actually went to the temple this morning while she watched Whitney, and I thought to myself I just can't face all those dishes. Seriously--I cleaned so much yesterday why is there still MORE to do!!! Ugh. I heard once that cleaning the house while you have little kids is like shoveling snow while it is still snowing . . .Plus it is hard to think that all I have to look forward to everyday is more cleaning. Dishes. Laundry. Bathrooms. Floors. etc. Sometimes it is hard not feel defined by the chores I have to do. Or didn't do for that matter. I think that you are an amazing Mother, I know you put spending time with your girls first. I wish I had some great advice, but I only have sympathy. I feel just like you do. I just the best I can (or at least do what I feel I can face---not always the best I can :) ) You can only do so much. I figure since it is an on going circle it all eventually gets done, round and round we go. I love You Melyssa. Hang in there. Call me to watch your girls---it will give you a break. :)
Jen said…
well I too can relate although not entirely because I only have two kids so I can't imagine what it's like for you! BUT I do know that you are an amazing mom and you do a FANTASTIC job raising your girls and being a housewife although you may not always feel like it! If you want my opinion on the whole thing though you can check out my Provident Pearls blog, I talk about what works for me. providentpearls.blogspot.com
Kathi said…
yeah, everyone check Jen's Provident Living - has good advise.
I agree with Jenny Melyssa, you are a wonderful mother & wife.
ALL of you young mothers - having passed this stage in my life (& feeling exactly like you earlier)
"don't sweat the small stuff", give yourselves credit for what you DO DO. Pick your battles, don't EVER feel guilty!!!! You all do too much to waste energy on feeling "guilty". Look at your accomplishments & if you take a day or two off.....so be it!!! You're all WONDERFUL!!
Granna said…
Don't ever feel guilty about housework!
I've learned that "shoulds" (directed to ourselves or others)cause most of life's frustrations and sorrows. When you eliminate the "shoulds" with "hopes" you will feel more peace.
"I hoped that I could have accomplished that today but I acknowledge I am not always able to be in total control of my day when I am wearing so many hats (and other people's agency is involved)". NO MORE SHOULDS!
Brianne said…
I pretty much have resorted to cleaning 30 minutes before anyone comes over.

Popular Posts