The Diagnosis...
Well, it's official. I have been diagnosed with Graves Disease. I went in for a thyroid uptake and scan on Wednesday. Then on Thursday when KK had her appointment with an endocrinologist (she is doing fabulously by the way) I told him about what was going on with me. He immediately called the hospital, got my results, and came in to tell me the bad news.
He explained that normal people's uptakes in a 24 hour period were anywhere between 10-25%, and mine was at a 78%, he indicated it was the highest he'd ever seen. He was surprised I am functional at all since usually when your thyroid is off, you are a mental mess. (This would explain the frequent outbursts of tears that have been going on for a couple months now). He explained there are only three forms of treatment. Option one (the least recommended or favorable): surgically remove your thyroid. This is not the best because there is quite a large margin of error on the part of the surgeon.
Option two (great for men or non-childbearing women): go on thyroid suppressing medication. This works well for people, however is a class D drug, and is known to cause a wide variety of birth defects if a woman is taking them while pregnant. However, hyperthyroidism (Graves Disease) also causes a wide variety of birth defects as well if a woman becomes pregnant while hyper.
And finally Option Three (still not great, but according to my doctor the best option for me at this time): Kill your thyroid with radioactive iodine and then be on artificial thyroid replacement for life.
When the doctor told me my "only" options, my heart sank, my stomach soured, and my hopes fell. These are my only options? I have to radiate myself, kill a living, functioning part of my body, and go on hormone replacement for the rest of my life?
I began researching what happens when you kill your thyroid, and it isn't pretty. Many, if not all people have a hard time with replacement hormones. There is weight gain, mood problems, and others. Not only that but many people report that once you kill your thyroid, your antibodies go on to attack other parts of your body like your eyes or skin because you took away the thyroid, but not the underlying cause which is the antibodies.
I called my mom, who was diagnosed with Graves Disease three years ago (thanks genetics), and she told me how she worked with a naturopath to help cure her disease. She recently went in for blood work and her thyroid levels were normal. So there is hope.
I have researched naturopaths in my area and found a certified, licensed one in Driggs, ID (about 40 minutes away). Her office staff said she is on her Honeymoon until Tuesday but she will contact me then to let me know if she can help me.
I am trying to be at peace. I have cried many tears out of frustration. I feel helpless, but at the same time hopeful.
I don't know if natural medicine is the path to take, but I want to see this naturopath, hear her opinions, etc. and then take all of my options to the Lord. I really feel like killing your thyroid should be a last resort, not the first thing you do. I want to make sure that I have done everything in my power to heal myself before I resort to that. If that is what it ultimately comes down to, I think I will be more at peace with it if I try everything else first.
Again, I have a firm testimony that everything happens for a reason. Right now I am trying not only to decide what to do about my health, but also look for what I need to be learning. One of the things I have learned from this is patience. (or I guess I have learned how impatient I am) - I naturally want to have this all taken care of right now. I want to start exercising again, I want to know what to do right now, I want to know if I am going to be able to have more children, when I am going to have them, etc. and those things are not in my control. And I have to be at peace with that.
I have really tried to be at peace with my life right now. I am very grateful for my family - my amazing supportive husband, and my beautiful children. I am trying to savor my time with them, and that has been very healing. I know my Savior lives and is there to lift me up when I am struggling. I know I am a child of a Heavenly Father who put me here on this earth to learn and grow, even though that is painful at times. And I know that despite how hard things may be right now, it will all be okay. :)

Comments
Your answer & continual peace will come in the temple.
I love you! thank you for being such a wonderful wife & mother & great example to all of us through your trials.
love,
2nd mom :)
p.s. is that red hard for anyone else to read? I can't read it at all. My eyes must be really bad :) Love your blog look though.
We are all praying for your ability to discern the path you should take. You will feel peace when you do.
PS2 I have a hard time with the print color too.
It is crazy that those are your only options! Whatever you do, or end up doing, I know everything will be OK for you and your family. I'll pray for your health.
lady to admire and I do so. Your
spirituality is so admirable and I
know it will cause many of the
necessary blessings you need to be
yours.The difficult decisions you are
faced with,I truly pray will become
correct ones for you and know Heavenly Father will bless you and
your beautiful family with strength
& patience(ie:darling Kennedy & her
challenges).I love you all and know Heavenly Fathers love and
answers will bless you with correct choices. I know He is there to do just that and I know
our Savior lives & I have been so
blessed and rewarded to have you
all in my life. God Bless each of
you and you will be much in my
prayers. Hugs & lots of Secrets
Grams PS-I will never
complain again about taking that
hot pink thyroid pill every day &
the other 8 also...chug a lug!