Cooking With Kids: Alphabet Pretzels

This week has been a little crazy with no school on Monday or Tuesday, so yesterday we finally got around to our cooking day. This week we decided to make alphabet pretzels. I was envisioning the taste and texture of Pretzelmaker pretzels when I came across this recipe. So the girls and I got to work.
We mixed, stirred, kneaded, rolled, shaped, painted, sprinkled, then baked the pretzels.

This is our final product.

This is what Hadley was up to while the other girls and I were baking. She knows how to open drawers and cupboards now so she is CONSTANTLY making messes. She decided to get herself a little snack while we were cooking ours. :) Notice the huge drool pool on the front of her shirt. She has been getting a molar FOREVER and it makes her drool incessantly.

Alphabet Pretzels
1 package dry yeast
3/4 cup warm water
1 T. sugar
Pinch of salt
2 cups flour
1 egg, beaten
Five minutes before you're ready to begin combine yeast and water together. Preheat oven to 425. Pour flour, sugar, and salt into a bowl and mix. Add water and yeast mixture, mix and form into a ball. On a floured surface, knead dough for about five minutes. Form dough into long, pencil-like rolls, then shape into letters. Place letters on a baking sheet. Brush dough with the beaten egg. Sprinkle with salt or cinnamon and sugar. Bake 12-15 minutes until golden brown.

Our Review:
While they do not have the soft fluffy texture of the Pretzelmaker pretzels, we really liked them. Our texture may have been different because we used one cup of whole wheat flour and one cup of white flour. They turned out crispy on the outside and chewy on the inside. We made the cinnamon sugar version and dipped them in vanilla yogurt and peanut butter. Next time we are going to make the salted version and dip them in cheese sauce. Yum! The girls really liked making these because they were able to play with the dough first and they LOVED making their names.

Comments

Katie The Lady said…
What a great...and tasty idea! I love pretzels so much. I bet my boys would love to make and eat their pretzel names!!
Melissa said…
What a fun idea and for the whole family! I should try that. Hadley is so cute! That is what Hayden does while I am in the kitchen. He likes to pull everything out and laugh while I put it back for the 10th time!
The A Team Mom said…
You are too too fun! What a great Mom! I am sure that your kids will remember this as something you did with them and as a truly wonderful time!
Lee said…
Those are so cool!! I should do it with my kids I am sure they would love it. You are a fun fun Mom!

Popular Posts