Cooking With Kids: Chewy Granola Bars
One of my New Year's Resolutions is to be better at recording daily happenings at my house throughout the year. Another resolution is to have a cooking day with my girls once a week (preferably on Mondays). I am hoping that it will not only teach them to love cooking and have basic cooking skills, but also give them some fun memories of all of us in the kitchen together.
Today we decided to make Homemade Chewy Granola Bars. I found the recipe online and we got to work. We had a lot of fun making them, they are simple, quick, and very yummy. My girls are excited to try different variations like s’mores, peanut butter, etc.
Chewy Granola Bars
2 1/2 c. oats - quick rolled oats
1/2 c. crisp rice cereal
1/4 c. coconut
1/2 c. mini chocolate chips
1/2 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. butter, softened
1/4 c. honey
1/2 tsp. vanilla
Add all ingredients together and mix until combined. Press into 9x13 pan (I used two round cake pans). Bake at 350 for 18-20 minutes and score into bars. Let it set completely and then cut into bars.
We made two different kinds: chocolate chip and Craisin chocolate chip (for the less picky eaters). We improvised a little bit since I didn't have coconut or Rice Crispies, but they still turned out great. All in all we give it five stars! It was a fun to do together. And I just discovered a new resolution: take pictures of the kids cooking, not just the finished product. :)
Today we decided to make Homemade Chewy Granola Bars. I found the recipe online and we got to work. We had a lot of fun making them, they are simple, quick, and very yummy. My girls are excited to try different variations like s’mores, peanut butter, etc.
2 1/2 c. oats - quick rolled oats
1/2 c. crisp rice cereal
1/4 c. coconut
1/2 c. mini chocolate chips
1/2 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. butter, softened
1/4 c. honey
1/2 tsp. vanilla
Add all ingredients together and mix until combined. Press into 9x13 pan (I used two round cake pans). Bake at 350 for 18-20 minutes and score into bars. Let it set completely and then cut into bars.
We made two different kinds: chocolate chip and Craisin chocolate chip (for the less picky eaters). We improvised a little bit since I didn't have coconut or Rice Crispies, but they still turned out great. All in all we give it five stars! It was a fun to do together. And I just discovered a new resolution: take pictures of the kids cooking, not just the finished product. :)

Comments
I absolutely love all your scrapbooking pages that you make. You've inspired me. What program do you use? for layouts? Let me know. I need help starting. :)
Chelsea