Cooking With Kids: Stained Glass Window Cookies

I wish I could say that this week’s “Cooking With Kids” went as well as the past two have. Let’s just say you can’t win every time. We started out having a great time, measuring and mixing. But by the end of the cooking project I was wondering why on earth I had chosen this recipe and the kids were completely disconnected from the entire process. In fact, about halfway through the batches of cookies, they were off on the other side of the house playing together and I was in the kitchen - alone - baking the rest of the disastrous cookies.

The recipe that we made this week was stained glass cookies. I have seen these around on several websites and I thought they would be really fun to make to kick of the Valentine’s season. They were great in theory....execution is another story.

First of all, the dough recipe was WAY too gooey. We had to add about an extra cup of flour before it became stiff enough to roll and shape. Second, it was pretty hard for Kennedy and Avery to really do much because they had a hard time cutting the dough and filling the tiny windows with the crushed candy, so they immediately became bored with the entire process. Then, after they were baked, the cookies were GLUED to the baking sheet, making it nearly impossible to remove them from the sheet without crumbling the cookies altogether. And finally, the cookies that had been this much work to make, are not (in my opinion) even tasty. Obviously the candy window is hard, the cookie is crumbly, and it is a weird flavor combination.





Recommendations: If you should choose, despite my many warnings, to go ahead and make these cookies with your children here is my advice: Do not use this dough recipe: it is WAY too gooey. Instead, use your own favorite sugar cookie dough. It will should work just fine. Also, instead of trying to grease your pans like I did I would HIGHLY recommend using parchment paper as it would most likely prevent the crumbling issue I had.

Although this recipe was a dud, I am looking forward to next week and the adventures we will have.

Comments

Jen said…
well, like you said, you can't win them all. :) they turned out cute though! you are such a good mommy doing these cooking dates every week. I'm excited when cam can get more involved in ours and do fun recipes. as of now she just helps me put flour in our cookie dough. :) by the way, I LOVE your family pictures and I LOVE the post below. so cute and funny. sometimes you have to be a "mane" mom...shows you're human! gives you a good opportunity to teach them to apologize too...you're so good at that too! ok, this is long enough. love you!
Kathi said…
They are cute/cool looking. Good mommy doing this with the girls & teaching them to like cooking.

Popular Posts