Avery is Six!!!

Yesterday was Avery Elizabeth's sixth birthday. She has been counting down the days for months! She was so excited to turn six. I wanted to start with her birthday interview:
Avery Elizabeth - Six-Years Old
Height: 42.5 inches tall
Favorites:
*color: pink
*thing to do outside: ride bikes
* movie: The Lorax
*thing to eat for breakfast: waffles and sausage
*thing to eat for lunch: Ramen
*thing to eat for dinner: Spaghetti and Meatballs
*song: “We are Never Getting Back Together” by Taylor Swift
*primary song: “I Love to See the Temple”
 *cereal: Captain Crunch
*vegetable: asparagus and brussels sprouts
*fruit: grapes
* drink: pop
* toy: my whoopie cushion
* TV Show: Shake It Up
* game: Chutes and Ladders
*book: Fly Guy Meets Fly Girl
*scripture story: The one where they put that guy in the dungeon with the lions. (Daniel and the lion’s den) :)
*restaurant: “Chunky Cheese” Chuck E. Cheese
*holiday: Halloween
*animal: giraffe
Random Questions
Who is your best friend?  Jessie
What are your talents? - “Hula Hooping and Jump Roping, Somersaulting, and spelling ‘I Love You.”
-If you could change your name, what would you choose? Heather
- What do you like to take with to bed with you each night? My chinchilla
-What do you love about each person in our family? - These are direct quotes from Avery
Dad: “He wrestles with us.”
Mom: “How she cooks stuff.”
Paige: “She plays with me.”
Kennedy: “She let’s me go on her bed.”
Hadley: “She shares her toys.”
-Where would you like to go on vacation this year?
Hawaii
-What are some of your wishes for this year?
-”I wish I could be magic.”
-”I wish I could be the best artist in the world.”
- “”I wish somebody could fall in love with me.” (she giggled and told me not to post this, but it was too cute, and so completely Avery that I HAD to) :)

   When Avery woke up she came into my room and I gave her six birthday hugs and six birthday kisses. I asked her if she felt any older. She looked into my mirror and said, "No, but I am really taller!" So cute! Then she immediately asked to open one of her presents. We always let the girls open one present (usually after breakfast) on their birthday, but she couldn't wait to even eat before she got to see what was in one of her brightly covered boxes. I let her know which gift she could open and she quickly tore the paper off. It was a t-shirt that I thought she would love. Paige and Kennedy immediately turned green with envy because they both loved the shirt, but you could tell that Avery did not especially like it. Hahaha! I felt kind of bad, but mostly I felt dread that we have already hit the age when the clothes that I pick out for them are not "cool" enough. I really do feel like I am pretty in touch with what everyone their age wears, but Avery has always been particularly picky about what she likes and does not like. However, in an attempt to not hurt my feelings she said, "I think I'll wear this tomorrow mom." ;)
   She chose to have Fruit Loops for breakfast (Again, I only let them have sugary cereal on their birthdays, if we are visiting someone who has it, and on St. Patrick's day - Lucky Charms, so it is REALLY exciting for them). I was just glad I didn't have to make a HUGE breakfast before school. Then she gathered up her presents for the kids in her class, Halloween stickers and cool orange and white candy bracelets. She was so excited to go to school to see "what they are gonna do for my birthday!" I dropped her off at her door and she was all smiles as she marched into class with her bag full of surprises for her new found buddies.
    Later I picked her up from school to take her to lunch with me. She was wearing a sparkly birthday crown her teacher had made for her with curly ribbons trailing down her back. She looked so cute! We went to McDonalds of course. Why do my girls always choose McDonald's?!?!? I wish other restaurants had cool kids meal toys and playgrounds around here.  She had Hadley had a great time playing on the deserted play area that is usually so packed that you have to wait a turn to go down the slide. I was ready with my bucket of hand sanitizer after they played. Hadley ALWAYS gets sick after playing on those things because she bites her fingernails. They happily ate their nuggets and fries and grudgingly posed for a few pictures for me. (On a side note there is a black piece of something sandwiched between the glass on the lens of my camera that I cannot get out, so in all my pictures there is a gray smudge blob thing I have to photoshop out. It's right in the middle of all my pictures and it is SUPER frustrating).  After their lunches were gone I let them play a little longer until I had to take Avery back to class. They wanted her there on time because they were going to do something "special" for her right after lunch recess. Again, when I dropped her off she was all smiles, ready for her big surprise.
   After school she came out holding a bright pink birthday book that her classmates had made for her. They each drew her a special picture to help her celebrate her special day. And they were all crowded around her thanking her for their bracelets and stickers. It was really cute. She LOVES being the center of attention.
   After school we came home and she wanted me to paint her nails like Halloween characters, so we painted them like ghost, pumpkin, and Frankenstein faces. Then she played with her sisters until it was time to go over to grandma and grandpa's house to make dinner. I made dinner over there because they have a double oven and her dinner requests needed a lot of baking!
   The girls and daddy played Wipe-Out 3 for Wii which we had rented from Redbox for the occasion while I cooked dinner. On the menu was mummy dogs, french fries, sauerkraut, and Brussels sprouts. (Yes, Avery requested the Brussels sprouts, she is my vegetable lover!) We ate dinner and then invited great grandma Lila, and great grandma and grandpa Regas over for dessert. Avery chose to have brownies and ice cream (non-dairy of course) for her birthday dessert instead of cake - Woo Hoo! I get a little tired of making cakes this time of year. Everyone gobbled up their treats and Avery and I discovered a new favorite kind of dairy free ice cream, coconut milk, cookie dough ice cream, it's even gluten free so I could eat it too!

    She was not even done with her last bite when she said, "Time for presents! Time for presents!" She had been waiting ALL day, asking every five minutes for her presents and the time had finally arrived. The great grandparents had to go to a meeting, so they gave their love and hugs and kisses before they left. Then Avery got down to the business of opening her presents. She received cards and money from grandma and grandpa Orme, Michelle and Jessy, Grandma Jessie, and even the great grandparents have her a dollar in their cards. She was in heaven! She also received a horn for her bike from KK, a blue ball from Paige, and some stick on earrings from Hadley. Before her birthday when Thresa was visiting us she was given a super cool barbie car from her as well.  And we gave her the movie "The Cat in the Hat" and a cool light up lap desk with fashion plates she could trace and create different outfits with. She is our artist/designer, and she LOVED it.
   She had a lot of fun on her birthday and soaked up every bit of love and attention given to her.
 


   I love birthdays and the chance they give me to shower the birthday girl with extra love and attention to let them know how special and cherished they are to me. I show my love through my actions many times, but I also try to show my love with words and hugs, and pats, and squeezes. I really hope my children know how much I love them. And I hope I SHOW them that love everyday through my actions and words.


   Avery is such a special girl. She is very happy. She always has been. She has a lightness to her soul that I wish I possessed. She has the world's cutest giggle and she uses it often, especially when she is with Hadley. Those two have such a close bond and relationship that I hope they carry with them throughout their lives. They love, love, love each other. They play and laugh and wherever Avery is, you can bet Hadley is right alongside her doing whatever Avery is doing. She is her little shadow and their laughter rings throughout our home. Hadley has missed Avery terribly this year while she is at kindergarten. And there is always a cute joyous reunion every day when we pick Avery up from school and Hadley gets her buddy back.

   Avery is doing very well in school. Her teacher says that she often puts Avery as a leader in the little work stations because she "knows what she is supposed to do and is able to help the other children follow the directions." Her teacher said she is very adept socially and has "a lot" of friends, flitting from group to group and talking with everyone. The only problem she had at school is that she had trouble laying still and not talking to her friends at quiet time. But the teacher said she put her at the table with her head down one time, and since that time Avery has grudgingly been quiet at quiet time. :)

   Avery continues to love art and drawing. She is constantly cutting things up, gluing things together (and to my furniture), creating, and crafting. I find bits of her artwork EVERYWHERE from the cracks of the couch, taped to walls, mirrors, furniture, computers, etc. My desk is in a constant state of disaster because she is always there creating. I am trying to be supportive of her talent, which can be trying at times because I like my desk to be clean, my supplies to be in the drawers, my floor to be clear of tiny scraps of paper, etc. So we are still working on how to compromise this situation right now. I also don't know what to do with all her creations since she literally makes me at least two or three pictures a day. I feel badly throwing them away but there is not enough fridge space, wall space, etc. to hold them all.

We love you Avery Elizabeth and hope your sixth year is awesome!!!!!

Comments

Heidi Mae said…
I started taking pictures of my boys creations. The ones that are extra special I keep, but the others are photographed. Someday I'll make a book of all their pictures.

Popular Posts