Kennedy's Baptism
We were so excited for Kennedy to be baptized! Since she was the second child in our family to be baptized, there were some things we did for her that we wish we had done for Paige. (Hindsight is 20-20).
First of all, we invited the missionaries to come over to our house and have a discussion with Kennedy about the importance of baptism, why we are baptized, and just give her the perspective of someone who is not in her immediate family. The elders came over to our house one day after school and talked with Kennedy about her upcoming baptism and it's sacred importance. The Spirit was there and I could tell that Kennedy was really listening to what the elders had to say. It was a great way to reinforce the ordinance to her. We will definitely be doing this with the other girls when they turn eight as well.
Next, we made sure our Family Home Evening lesson was about baptism. We started out talking about Jesus Christ's baptism and the reason He, being perfect, chose to be baptized. Then, we went through a detailed step by step of what Kennedy should expect on the day of her baptism. We did not want her to have any fears or questions about the process. And last, we had Paige share her experience of what her baptism was like. This was honestly, my favorite part of the entire lesson. Paige became very serious, and very quiet but she spoke with such power as she described the amazing feeling she felt when she came up out of the water. She spoke with such love and excitement for Kennedy and the Spirit was SO strong! It brought tears to my eyes to see my oldest daughter teaching and testifying with the Spirit to our entire family. It was amazing!
Next, I took Kennedy out and tried to take her baptism pictures. This experience helped me come to the realization that photography is not my talent. I don't have the patience or the memory to remember all the settings on my camera, etc. I am perfectly okay using the automatic feature, even though I know it does not produce the best pictures. Thankfully, she is adorable and an easy subject so they turned out okay. Next time I think I will hire this task out. Hahaha!
On the day of her baptism we met at the stake center. There were only two children in our stake being baptized that particular day, Kennedy and a little boy. The program started. Kennedy had asked Grandma Lila to give a talk on baptism. I was REALLY glad she did not choose me. It is nice to be able to sit and enjoy the program without the added pressure of giving a talk. And Grandma did such a great job, emphasizing Christ's importance in our lives and how much He loves Kennedy. It was really sweet.
Next, we all went into the room with the baptismal font. It always makes my heart swell with happiness and love to watch my faithful husband take our children into the font and baptize them. It is especially wonderful to me since I was not able to be baptized by my father and I always wished I could have been. What a blessing for my children to have that special memory.
After the baptism was performed I met Kennedy in the dressing room and asked her how she felt. With her teeth chattering she said, "I am FREEZING!" I guess they did not heat up the water for the font! Poor thing! That will surely help her remember her baptism for the rest of her life.
I wrapped her in a towel and hugged her, telling her how much I loved her and how proud of her I was. It was such a sweet moment holding her, all clean and pure, and thinking about how she has entered into this important covenant with her Heavenly Father. I could feel His love for her as I was expressing my love. What a wonderful knowledge we have to know that we truly are God's children.
After the baptisms, the children were confirmed. We were so lucky to have so many family members and friends who came to the baptism. As I looked at all the men in the circle standing around Kennedy I was once again overcome with just how loved and blessed we are. What a treasure to have this gospel in our lives. It is wonderful!
After her confirmation and the conclusion of the program, we all met outside and took pictures. Then Kennedy chose to go to The Alamo, a Mexican restaurant to celebrate. We gorged ourselves on chips and salsa and had a good time being with family. It was a good end to a beautiful day.
Here are some questions I asked Kennedy about her baptism day:
Why did you choose to be baptized?
"I wanted to have the Holy Ghost."
What do you remember most about your baptism?
"The freezing water! And I felt righteous."
Could you share your testimony with us?
"I know that Heavenly Father and Jesus are real. And they will help you feel the Spirit."
As you can see Kennedy is a girl of few words. :) I love her simple, truthful answers because I know she means what she says and believes strongly in her Heavenly Father and Savior. We love Kennedy so much and are so thankful that she chose to be baptized!




Comments