Oops, I Did It Again!

   A couple of days before Valentine's Day I was working out in the morning after dropping the girls off at school. I tend to get bored with workouts, so I switch things up a lot. On this particular day, I thought I would kick things up a notch and instead of doing my usual step aerobics, I would try an advanced step aerobics class.
  So, take a five month pregnant girl who already has some klutziness issues and add to than a VERY complicated foot jumbling jumping, twisting, stepping routine and it equals disaster - or at least it did for me. Somewhere in the middle of one of the crazy twisting combinations I stepped off the step wrong, felt my ankle buckle, and heard a snap. I was immediately on the ground in EXTREME pain. Since I had sprained that exact same ankle earlier in the year, I knew what I had done. I quickly hopped into the kitchen, got some ice and elevated my foot. I was no dummy this time around, I did not want my ankle to swell up as big as my thigh!
   Through my sobs I called Tobey and told him that I knew I had sprained my ankle and was worried I may have fractured it since I heard such a loud, audible snap and the pain was MUCH more intense than my last sprain. He quickly left work to come rescue me and take me to the doctor.
   To make a long story short, I re-sprained my ankle that was weakened earlier this year from the previous sprain. The ruled out fractures and broken bones (thank goodness) but told me I would be in a walking boot for several weeks, needed to take it easy, etc.
   Thanks to loving and helpful family members I was able to stay off my feet for about three days straight, allowing all the swelling and most of the pain to go down. This was my view for those three days:
Despite my quick icing and elevation, there was still quite a lot of bruising. Although I did not manage to get a decent picture of it on camera. The swelling wasn't as severe as with my last sprain, but again I think it was because I stayed off my feet consistently for three days this time.
So, this lovely boot was once again my companion for about three weeks!
It was hard for me to have to nurse an injured ankle because I truly LOVE to work out every. single. day. Oh well, it allowed me to catch up on some books, and take a mini-vacation in my own home. I really don't take it easy very often so it was kind of nice being forced to. :)


Comments

Popular Posts