The Example of Our Children


I have found that being a parent is humbling on so many levels. My children are constantly teaching me how to be a better person, how to keep my anger in check, how to try and be more patient, and especially how to constantly strive to do what is right. The other day Paige was sitting at the table and said, "Oh my G**!" She had never done this before so I took the opportunity to sit down and explain to her that to say things like that was breaking a very important commandment. I told her that using Heavenly Father and Jesus' names in that way was like using them as naughty words. Although we have taught her about using the Lord's name in vain before, I think this time it really made an impact. That night after I put her to bed, she came out of her room in tears. She tearfully explained to me that she could not stop thinking about how sorry she was to have used Heavenly Father's name in this way and she asked me what she could do. I explained to her that all she needed to do was to pray to Heavenly Father, tell him she was sorry, and never do it again. Then we talked a little bit about repentance, how our Savior died for us so we could repent when we did things like this that were wrong, and that is why we need to also thank Heavenly Father for our Savior. It was a great teaching moment for me and a spiritual experience for both of us.
Since that night at the end of each day, Paige will tell us things that are bothering her and she will ask us what she can do - wanting to do what is right. This is a conversation that she and Tobey had last night while I was out with friends:
Paige:"Dad I keep thinking of a naughty word and it is really bothering me. I want to go back to where Heavenly Father lives (Celestial Kingdom) and not to the second world! If I keep thinking that naughty word, I won't make it back!"
Tobey: "What word?"
Paige: "You know, the 'S' word."
Tobey (startled): "What 'S' word?"
Paige: "You know, the one that says, "s...t".
Tobey (extremely startled and wondering where on earth she would have heard this word): "What word Paige?"
Paige (embarassed): "Stupid! - And I keep thinking about how we watched naughty and dirty t.v. shows"
Tobey (once again extremely startled) "What shows!?!"
Paige: "Spongebob!"
Tobey explained to her that if she can't get things out of her mind she could either sing a primary song or say a prayer asking Heavenly Father to take these things from her mind, then thanking him for everything she could think of until she fell asleep.

Thankfully at this point in their lives, these are the WORST possible things they can imagine themselves doing. I am just grateful for her willingness to know when something doesn't seem right and come to us for direction on how to handle these influences in her life. I pray that she will always turn to us and more importantly her Heavenly Father & Savior as life's pressures get harder to bear.

Then tonight Kennedy proudly announced to me, "Mom, I prayed and asked Heavenly Father that our family would not get the swine flu!"
(Maybe I am a little bit germaphobic right now?)

Their examples to me of striving to do what is right are so powerful and such a great influence in my life. I am so grateful for the gospel and the opportunities we have each day to teach our children about Christ, about Heavenly Father, and about who they truly are. I am also grateful for the lessons I learn from them. How blessed we are to have eternal families and an eternal perspective! We are so blessed, so blessed indeed!

Comments

Kathi said…
That's very sweet Melyssa. You guys are blessed to have a wonderful family. You both are doing the most important thing a parent can do & that is having open communication so your children will ALWAYS feel comfortable to talk to you guys - knowing you won't get mad but that they CAN talk to you about anything. You should always feel free to ask about things too (when older). I think our children were shocked about questions I would ask but..... they knew we could talk about it.

I'll say this again & again.... We are SO VERY proud of what wonderful parents you & Tobey are & ALL of our children & their spouses (sooo proud).
Keep up the good work!! :)
Katie Fish said…
Aw, that is really sweet. What great girls!
Misty said…
That is so adorable and sweet! What amazing girls you have. YOu must be an awesome mother.
Gma Lila said…
You and your famiy prove that the Lord HAS reserved the best for now. Your stories inspire me and give me comfort to know people like you are taking over from us oldsters. I love you.
G'ma Lila
Lorna said…
Very sweet post. Thankyou for sharing. "Stupid" is the very reason that we kicked spongebob out of our house!!!
Melissa said…
Page is such a sweet little girl. She is so sensitive and it is so wonderful to see how much they learn at such a young age. They are really sensitive to the spirit. Thanks for sharing.

Popular Posts